Rolls are generally a staple at the Thanksgiving table in my family, but this year I wanted to give biscuits a try. The best biscuits I've ever had are from a restaurant out here in New York called Pies-n-Thighs. So rather than come up with my own version, I figured I would surrender and use their perfect recipe which you can find here. To make this side dish extra festive I made crock pot apple butter to go with. The recipe is super simple and requires that you let it cook overnight, or I guess you could let it cook all day. I kinda like the idea of something being accomplished while I sleep, but I'm a little obsessed with checklists and what not so bare with me.
Apple butter recipe
- 8 granny smith apples
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Peel, core and chop apples in to small bite size chunks.
- Place all your ingredients into your crockpot.
- Cook on low for 10 hours covered.
- Turn up to high and cook uncovered for an additional 2 hours. Feel free to stir occasionally.
- Using a food processor blend until you've reached your desired texture.
- Pour into jars and store in the refrigerator. I used mine as place settings for Thanksgiving.
Photography by Amy Frances.